The holidays are a challenging time because there are so many more delicious foods everywhere. For some people, this is a time of year when they consume more alcohol at holiday parties. Unfortunately, most of these cocktails are loaded with calories. Here are some tips that can help keep the party going—but not increase your waistline!
- Choose cocktails that don’t add a lot of calories beyond the alcohol with high-calorie mixers. Order soda water and a splash of cranberry juice or diet soda as the mixer.
- Have a non-caloric beverage (such as water, iced tea, or decaf coffee) in between alcoholic drinks.
- Order your drink with extra ice.
- Set a goal to stick to the alcohol recommendations for adults: 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men. A drink is 5 ounces of wine, 1½ ounces of liquor, or 12 ounces of beer.
Try some of these lower-calorie beverages at your next holiday party!
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg whites
- 5½ cups low-fat or skim milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Splenda or alternative sweetener
- 2 TB. cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 TB. vanilla
- ½ tsp. (plus additional for sprinkling) ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup dark rum (optional)
In a bowl, with a whisk, beat eggs and egg whites until blended; set aside.
In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, with heat-safe spatula, mix 4 cups milk with sugar, cornstarch, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Cook on medium-high until mixture boils and thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
Gradually whisk ½ cup simmering milk mixture into eggs; pour egg mixture back into milk in saucepan, whisking constantly, to make custard.
Pour custard into large bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg, rum (if using), and remaining 1½ cups milk.
Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours or up to 2 days.
Sprinkle eggnog with nutmeg to serve. Makes about 6½ cups.
Serves: 13 Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 90 Fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 10g Protein: 6g
Sparkling Pomegranate Cocktail
- 1½ cups pomegranate juice
- ¼ cup grenadine
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle Prosecco or dry sparkling wine, chilled
- 6 lime slices (optional)
- Pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Combine pomegranate juice and ¼ cup grenadine in a 2-cup glass measure.
- Divide the juice mixture evenly among 6 Champagne flutes or wine glasses. Top each serving evenly with wine, and garnish each serving with lime slices and seeds, if desired.
Serves: 6 Serving size: ¾ cup
Calories: 164 Fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 21g Protein: 0g
Spiced Hot Cider
- 4 cups apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- ½ cup applejack (apple brandy)
- 2 TB. cinnamon schnapps
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Bring apple cider, cinnamon stick, and cloves to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add applejack and schnapps. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve hot.
Serves: 6 Serving size: ¾ cup
Calories: 143 Fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 23g Protein: 0g
If you need more motivation to maintain your weight during the holidays, schedule a personal nutrition consultation for help surviving the holidays, contact Angie Scheetz, RD, at email@example.com or (317) 274-3432, ext. 239.