NIFS Mini-Marathon & 5K Training Program
Training is January 26–May 11; Wednesdays 6:00pm at NIFS
Having fun going 13.1(or 5K)! Now in our 32nd year of training, we'll help you cross the finish line!
Our 14-week program provides an in-depth, personalized and interactive training approach. Developed by exercise physiologists, fitness specialists and registered dietitians, this comprehensive program will optimize your performance in any race event.
Are you thinking about competing in your first 5K or Mini-Marathon? Competed before but need a strategy for staying on track or improving your time?
Each week you will meet up with other people who have the same goal as you. This group will support and encourage you throughout the entire program. But more important than that...WE HAVE FUN!
- Training Orientation, packet pick-up, and Q&A on January 26, 2022
- Weekly group training runs and walks on Wednesday evenings starting at 6 pm
- Training program and logs designed for your level of training, experience, and goals—
including 5K and 13.1
- Full access to NIFS Fitness Center on Wednesdays with access to a variety of cardiovascular and strength training equipment.
- Weekly snacks and refreshments
- Program T-shirt
- Post-race celebration on May 11, 2022
You will need to register for the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon or 5K or the Geist Half Marathon separately. Race entry is not included in training fees. See below.
- To register online click here.
- Or Print and complete the Registration Form and mail with credit card information, money order or a check made out to the National Institute for Fitness and Sport.
- Participants are NOT automatically entered into the race. We recommend you register for the Mini-Marathon as soon as possible at www.500festival.com. They predict filling the race by early to late November. We also recommend registering for the Geist Half Marathon as soon as possible at www.geisthalf.com.
- Participants must be able to walk or run a minimum of 2 miles at a 16-minute mile pace.
Regular Registration, 12/1/21-1/26/22
- Mini training—$60 for NIFS members/$70 for non-members
- 5K Training—$40 NIFS members/ $50 for non-members
Family Rate: Immediate household family members receive 50% off the registration fee when another family member registers!
Rookies/Veterans: 1st-year rookies to the program will receive a FREE 30-day membership to NIFS(*Valid for new NIFS members only). Veterans of 5+ years to the program will receive a special NIFS gift from the training staff!
Get the “Absolute Beginners Guide to Half-Marathon Training: Get Ready to Run or Walk a 5K, 10K, or Half-Marathon” book with the program for $10. Or, purchase the book only for $18.95 (plus $3 shipping and handling)