We are all on a fitness journey in one way or another. With life’s hectic schedule, it’s easy to lose track of where you are and where you want to be regarding your fitness. No matter whether you are trying to lose weight, put on mass, or maintain where you are, tracking fitness progress is an essential piece of your ongoing success.
While some people track every single workout, all gains, and all food consumed in their fitness journal, others just want to get it done and go by how they feel. But with the constant change in technology, specifically in the fitness industry, tracking progress becomes easier and easier; and in fact, it can add some benefits to your training.
The Benefits of Logging and Tracking
For those who regularly log and track their progress, you may not need to be convinced why you should be tracking it. But keep reading—this is still for you! And for those who don’t normally track progress, take a quick look at why it might be important to start.
- Makes it more likely to reach and surpass your goal.
- Allows you to be more efficient in your time and workouts.
- Lends accountability to yourself and your goals.
- Allows for easier modifications and shows when and where changes need to be made.
- It can be motivating and reinforcing to remind you why you are doing what you are.
- Helps to drive the focus and direction of your programming.
- Keeps you committed to your plan.
How to Track Your Progress
So how do you track your progress? There are so many different ways these days that you can do this. Apps, old-school fitness journals, online fitness challenges, in-house competitions in a gym, measurements, BOD PODs, photos, assessments, and the list goes on. One of the newest innovative ways to track progress is with a Fit3D scan. This assessment can provide over 200 measurements so that over time you can track your progress, whether you’re working on weight loss or muscle building.
This blog was written by Amanda Bireline, Fitness Center Manager. To read more about the NIFS bloggers, click here.