We’re in the midst of the holidays. You probably have family commitments or events pulling you away from the gym or time with your favorite trainers at NIFS. You never want to feel as if you are missing out on something during this festive period when you have to work out from home or on the road away from the gym. But with this super-setted HIIT workout, fittingly named for the holidays, you can be sure to improve both your muscle strength and overall fitness while torching some holiday cookie calories over this break.
All you need is yourself and a bench, chair, or step to complete this intense superset HIIT session. This workout includes 12 supersets in total, each designed to get your heart rate up as well as challenge your various different muscle groups.
Get ready to tackle 20 to 40 minutes of different HIIT cardio exercises in today's sweat fest! No equipment is needed, so you can work out at home or the gym. Focus on challenging yourself and doing YOUR best!
- 1x Jump Rope x 30 seconds
- 2x Spider Push-Up (alt. R/L)
- 3x Switch Lunge Kicks (alt. R/L)
- 4x Dip + Knee Pull (alt. R/L)
- 5x Squat Toe Taps (alt. R/L)
- 6x Dead Bugs (alt. R/L)
- 7x Reverse Lunge to Half Burpee (alt. R/L)
- 8x Elevated Reverse Plank Alternating Knee Pull (alt. R/L)
- 9x Bird Dogs (alt. R/L)
- 10x Rear Foot Elv. Split Squats (alt. R/L)
- 11x 4x Mountain Climbers + Launcher
- 12x 2x Reverse Lunge to 2x Jump Squats = x1 Rep
- BONUS Rd13x Push Up + Hyperextension + Knee Tucks
- BONUS Rd14x 3x Plank Jack + Pike-up Hop
- BONUS Rd15x Elevated Plank Hip Drop + Knee Pull
Sub/swap exercises as needed. Follow order, accumulating rounds/reps
- Rd 1 - x1 rep (in this case, Time: 30 seconds)
- Rd 2 - x1 + x2 reps
- Rd 3 - x1 + x2 + x3 reps
- Rd 4 - x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 reps
... And so on until you're finished with round 12
- Rd 12 - x1 + x2 + x3 + x4... x10 + x11 + x12 reps
(You will do round 1 x12 times, whereas round 12 only once)
- **Bonus**… Rd 13, 14, 15 (x3 more additional rounds)
- - x1 + x2 + x3 + x4... x10 + x11 + x12 + x13 + x14 + x15 reps
Increase the Intensity
If you want to increase the intensity of this particular workout, I suggest two options. First, add another round with the bonuses. Second, repeat this routine for another series depending on your fitness level.
This blog was written by Michael Blume, MS, SCCC; Athletic Performance Coach. To learn more about the NIFS bloggers, click here.